Friday, January 1, 2010

Stardust

First post of the New Year!


This is the first book that I've ever read by Neil Gaimon, much to Vyxen's shock and horror.


In this story, the half-fairy hero Tristran Thorn sets out on a fool's quest to find the fallen star for his one true love. Since he is not the only one searching, he must outwit his enemies to stay alive and to keep his star safe from their clutches. Along the way Tristran encounters witches, a unicorn, a cloud-sailing ship and receives help from a tree.


I was surprised and more than a little confused when I was reading this book. However, the story, no matter how obscure it seems at the time, flows together to wrap up in the end. Considering how the story begins (a female fae seducing a human male, although he is attached to a different female), I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into.

There does seem to be more to the book than what I got out of it. For example, there were references to the Unseelie court and the Castle Fellowship that I didn't understand. However, I'm a sucker for a good fairy tale, an errant knight on an impossible quest for his fair lady.

I'll definitely read this again at another point. And hopefully I'll manage to understand more of it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment