Monday, July 26, 2010

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

This story requires little introduction; however, you'll get one anyway.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was written in 1865 by Reverend Charles Dodgson, under the pen name Lewis Carroll.  This story can be read on different levels - ranging from innocent child's story to a story written by a pervert with a drug problem who likes little girls too much.  Some common FAQ's about the story can be found here, as well as some alternate explanations here.  So I don't have to do it, a synopsis can be found here.

It had been a while since I'd last read it so I thought the story was incredibly confusing, as well as fun and nonsensical; fortunately, that seems to have been the author's intent.  The writing was interesting with play on words running rampant, enabling a change of subject or change of context to what was being said.  It seemed like just when I started making sense of the story, it would change again - out of the blue!  Even the ending was abrupt: a deck of cards flying in Alice's face wakes her. 

Earlier in the year I read The Looking Glass Wars, so I was finally able to contrast the real story with the spin-off.  (Which I had meant to do shortly after I finished the book, I promise!).  And just for fun, here's a link to the Johnny Depp movie (you're welcome). 

Due to when the story was written, I know that there are social and/or political nuances that I've missed.  Despite that, I really enjoyed the story and will be reading the sequel, Through the Looking Glass soon.  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is on the Banned Book Club list of potential stories to read, so if chosen, I'll be one up on the others!

No comments:

Post a Comment