Monday, July 26, 2010

Kobo, Continued

So, I have my Kobo now, and I feel like I've used it often enough to make a decision.

I love it!

The screen was larger than I had thought - I could have just taken out a tape measure and figured out the size sooner, but where's the fun in that?! - and I also find it very readable.  The screen width is skinnier than the page of a paperback so I find I'm constantly "flipping" the page - but that just makes it seem like I'm reading faster than I am.  I like the fact that you can adjust the font size, and that there are 2 fonts to choose from.  I was brushing my teeth one night and changed the font size so I could read the chapter while the Kobo was resting on the counter.  What?  It was a good story!

The Kobo desktop application uploaded immediately once the Kobo device was plugged into my computer via USB, which meant no CD's or websites to find before using.  The only instructions were a 4 panel fold out showing what the buttons meant, even though there are labels on the eReader.  100 classic stories were included on the device, including Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and many other stories that I already owned.  On the plus side, many stories were included that I had just never gotten around to buying, so you can imagine my excitement when I found it on there!   And you'll have to, because I'm not uploading a video of me re-enacting it.

I also found that my Kobo was thinner and lighter than most books, so it really does fit well in my purse.  I loved being able to eat and read at the same time, without having to find creative ways to keep my book open while still using both hands to eat.  It's an art, really.

The website, so far, is easy to navigate: the home page highlights the newest releases and top 50 downloads, as well as categories (which then break down in to subcategories).  There's even a Free eBooks page!  Which, by the way, you don't need a Kobo to read them: you can use your computer!  The Kobo that I refer to is just the eReader, which allows me to read my books on a smaller scale than my computer.

Downside?  It's hard reading only one story at a time!  With so many options to choose from, it's difficult to start a book and keep at it.  Another downside is that if I want to read one of my hardcopy books (I'm pretty sure I made that phrase up, but it means a real book) I'll have to remember to bring it with me.  And once I start downloading more and more books, it may be more difficult to remember which books I have in which format.  I am a little worried about the potential for computer failure and losing all my stories, but a good friend of mine has suggested using a USB key or external hard drive for backup.  And it makes sense.

I am still learning to use my device and haven't figured out any more of the perks/cons of it, or even if I do love it more than a real book.  So please don't egg my house in the middle of the night because of it!   Oh, and if you are interested in buying a REAL book, stop by my favourite book store: I'm sure they wouldn't mind siding with you against me for my sacrilegious use of an eReader.

No comments:

Post a Comment