Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Moon

New Moon is the second book in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. This book starts out with Bella's birthday, in which she will officially be older than Edward - and she melodramatically argues with him about it. At the party she cuts herself and Edward has to protect her from the teeth of his brother. To protect her from himself and his family, Edward breaks up with her and moves away.

Time passes and Bella survives. Barely.

She discovers that by doing things that Edward would disapprove of, she is able to hear his voice. As such, she starts to engage in reckless activities (ie, talking to strange boys outside a bar, learning to ride a motorcycle, walking in forests that are known to have bear attacks and cliff diving). It is the cliff diving that, ironically, brings the vampires back to Bella. Alice witnesses Bella jumping off a cliff and drowning. After mentioning it to her sister and before checking on Bella herself, Edward hears about it and sets off to die.

When Alice learns of his behaviour, she takes Bella to Italy to prevent it, thus meeting the Volturi family. Alice promises to turn Bella in the future to spare her life, much to Edward's dismay. They return to Forks and Bella is convinced that Edward is still a dream. After talking it out for a while, Bella goes to the Cullens for a vote on her mortality; the majority votes for her to turn. Back at Bella's house, Jacob (Bella's rock while Edward was gone; he's also a werewolf) tells Edward that if any one in his family so much as bites a human, the treaty is over and war will break out between the werewolves and vampires. Bella is horrified at the implication that her becoming a vampire will start a fight between the pride and the Cullens.

I had a discussion at work about this series: I really didn't care for the first book and I heard that this one would be worse. And at first it was, especially post-breakup. However, once Bella started to get on with her life, with the help of Jacob, I started liking her more. And I found that if the author had substituted Edward's voice with her own common sense, I would've liked it a lot more. I definitely liked Bella more when she was around Jacob; the only exceptions being when she started referring to herself as broken and how she could never love again.

I adored Jacob. Not so much when he first turned, but after they hashed that out, I liked him again. I thought it was kind of sad when he was willing for a relationship with Bella where she had no emotional input, but given time (and no Edward), she probably would've been able to love him for real.

Edward still pissed me off and once he and Bella got back together, they both reverted back to their previous behaviours. After Bella talked to him rationally about how she was certain he would leave again, I assumed that she had grown up, but she lost all of her own strength when she realized that he was there to stay. I really really don't like how they parallel their relationship with Romeo & Juliet's - everyone knows how that one ends.

Like I said, I did like this one better (probably because there was less Edward) and so I am a little excited about the next one (Eclipse) since everyone says that it is better than New Moon. Maybe I ended up jumping on the bandwagon, but I won't be sure until the end of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment