Monday, April 5, 2010

Twilight

Twilight is the first book in a young adult series of the same name about a teenaged girl, Bella Swan, and the creatures she encounters in her small town in Washington state.

Bella insisted on moving to her father's home in Forks after her mom got re-married (the new husband is a basketball player so they would've been gone most of the time travelling). Coming from her sunny home in Phoenix, Forks is dreary and way too green. Luckily, the folks are friendly and Bella quickly makes new friends, despite her miserable attitude to the contrary. At lunch she has an across-the-room encounter with Edward Cullen and is confused by his continual glaring. Biology is even worse when she has a class with him and the only empty seat is at his bench. The whole class consisted of him glowering in her general direction and leaning as far away as possible. At the end of the day she sees him again in the office, trying to switch into a new class. Miserable, she goes home and can't stop thinking about him.

After about a week, he finally comes back to school and is friendly, much to her surprise. After he saves her from being crushed by an oncoming vehicle, they become friends and start hanging out more. An outing with her friends in a nearby town causes Bella to become lost and harassed by some locals; Edward saves her and she discloses that she knows his secret: that he's a vampire. With that out of the way, they admit to being in love with each other and are ready to meet each other's families. However, while watching the Cullen family play baseball in the rain, some strange vampires show up and notice that Bella is human. When Edward comes to her defense, the vampire James takes it upon himself to personally kill her. Running away to Phoenix doesn't help and Bella surrenders herself to save her mother. Fortunately for her, Edward shows up in time to save her life, yet again. The story ends with Edward taking Bella to prom, much to her horror and dismay.

I had put off reading Twilight since Christmas, mainly because I wasn't sure what to expect. I've heard reviews that ranged from terrific to terrible; however, when a friend of mine rented the movie the other day, and liked it, I decided that I would read the series.

Unfortunately, I found it to be mediocre.

I found that it took too long to finally get into the story. Bella is moody and depressing to have as a lead character - especially since it is read in the first person. She is constantly shooting herself down and putting Edward on a pedestal. Everything she has to say about his looks are filled with dismay, and is always followed by an "I'm not good enough" sentiment. She is clingy, and if I knew someone who was that obsessed with their partner, I'd be afraid that a breakup would drive them to be suicidal.

Edward really isn't that much better: he moods are very mercurial and it doesn't take much to set him off. As much as Bella torments herself with her own insecurity, Edward hounds himself about potentially hurting her - physically - if he gets carried away.

The worst part of the storyline are probably the two main characters. I didn't like how much both Bella and Edward beat themselves up over hurting the other (Bella couldn't stand it if one of his family members were hurt helping her and Edward couldn't stand it if she were hurt simply because she knew him). One of my main pet peeves was found in Bella: how every guy she came across was drawn to her and wanted to go out with her.

However, I did like Stephenie Meyer's take on vampires and how some vampire myths stayed as such (ie, burning to ash in the sunlight). I also liked how she made the Cullen family into "vegetarians," how some traits found in humans are magnified as vampires and I especially loved the baseball scene.

I think that if I were a romantic teenager wanting to read about the star-crossed lovers (which is a stupid term for them since both families support the relationship), I would really love this series. I don't think I could've identified with it since Bella isn't a typical teenager: her mother refers to her as 17-going-on-35 (I would disagree about her relative maturity).

Like I said, overall I found it mediocre. It could be that I went in with high expectations and therefore didn't enjoy the book as well as I could've. I will keep reading the series, just to see how it ends, but I don't think I'll raise my expectations for the next book, New Moon. Especially if Bella is going to continue brooding.

2 comments:

  1. You're going to love the relationship that develops. Really. It's one of the most destructive and unhealthy romantic relationships in a YA novel. Ever.

    Good luck with New Moon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I can empathize with you in "coming out of" a shell. I know it's hard and feels like you're exposed, but I'm trying to embrace it the best I can. I like your blog. What kind of sci fi are you into?

    http://mysocalledfeudallife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete